Blog #5: I'm Out of Witty Titles

 I've continued making good progress on my novella. At the time of this blog post, I've written around 60-ish pages in the novella and an additional 12 pages of short stories. I haven't written any new short stories since last week, but I'm super excited to continue working on the novella. I've finally reached the "meat" of the story and can start fleshing out the themes and big ideas I want to convey. It feels great to be fully invested in the story, too. I know that it's a project I will be able to see through until its completion, whether that happens within the duration of my senior project or during my own time. I'm still not sure how I want to end the story yet or how much longer I want to make it. I can see routes that work well for a shorter story and routes that would enable me to make it longer


One of the fun things about writing fiction is that you end up learning about a lot of random topics. This has happened a lot during the writing of my novella because I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the settings in which the story takes place. (Desert, big city, etc.) In one scene in my story, I wanted to describe the layout of an apartment, but I had no idea what type of apartment/ apartment layout would be best for my character. I ended up researching different apartments and exploring floorplans to find a layout that made sense. Previously, while I was aware that there were different types of apartments, I could never explain the differences between the different types of studio apartments or a loft. Could I explain the differences now? Probably not, considering my research was brief, but it's a nice example to highlight the random tidbits of information you can stumble across by writing.

Comments