Blog #4: End of the Second Week

 I feel good about my progress thus far, being the end of the second week. I met with Mr. Harris on Friday morning to discuss my progress and share what I had written so far. It was informative, but it was also more casual than I expected. We spent a lot of the meeting discussing literature in general and works relevant to my writing namely metafiction. It was a present surprise to me and it definitely gave me some ideas to continue my stories.


I continued experimenting with writing at Hawken instead of my usual workspace at my house. I found that I was more productive than previously, which supports my hypothesis that the time at which I was writing (during the afternoon) was a probable cause for my lack of productivity. The genius bar still felt like a foreign workspace to me, though. It was like I was doing work in someone else's house. I didn't feel the same level of comfort and it was hard to eliminate all distractions. Admittedly, school is still in session and if anything, I'm the one choosing to do work in a potentially noisy environment. That being said, it definitely seems that I need to have a specific workspace and environment to maximize my productivity. Even if the noise wasn't the key distractor, other aspects of Stirn, (like the lighting, architecture, or general design of the space) would grab my attention. It's nice to have a chance in scenery for my project and to spend time outside of my workspace, but I'll have to re-evaluate my expectations when I do work in a foreign space moving forward. 

The cost of gas has become an unexpected variable in my project. I've tried to limit my driving as much as possible, but I've found that because I'm traveling to and from Hawken multiple times per day, I'm spending much more on gas than before, not to mention gas prices are rising dramatically by the week. I'd like to experiment with other workspaces, but driving downtown and to/from Hawken in one day would require a deeper wallet than I would like.

Comments