Blog #3: A Change in Scenery

Progress has been steady thus far. In three days of work, I've been able to write over twenty pages of material, though most of it still needs to be proofread for content and clarity. I've been satisfied with the work I've produced, which is usually something I struggle with when writing fiction. Usually, I'll change a lot of what I produce from a past writing session, but I've found that writing is holding up better than I anticipated during this project. 


I’ve discovered that many of my story ideas have been spontaneous and unpredictable, which has been a lot of fun. I’ll wake up in the morning and have a new idea for a story that, four hours later, I can have finished. Even if I have an idea of what I want to write about when I go to bed, that idea can completely change by the time I wake up, which is extremely interesting to me. That being said, I’m still able to stick to a single idea, as I haven’t lost interest in the longer story I’m working on. I’m not sure what that says about my writing style, that I can both be highly spontaneous or methodical in my approach without sacrificing the quality of my work. Either way, I’ve been productive so far, so I suppose I won’t have to change anything.


I’m writing this blog post from Hawken Upper. I tried getting work done at school last Friday, but I found that ideas were coming slowly and the words weren’t flowing off the page like they normally would. I think that was because I had already written in the morning, so I was “tired” and not as productive in the afternoon. I’m curious to see if changing the time I work at school will impact my productivity or if the root of the issue lies elsewhere.

Comments